The Saint Anthony Hospital Nurse Extern allows BSN students an outstanding clinical experience at one of Chicago’s premier community hospitals.
The Nurse Extern program at Saint Anthony is a dynamic opportunity to work under the direct supervision of a RN Clinical preceptor in a supportive clinical environment. The next 9-week, paid summer program will run from June to August 2020. The program includes orientation and training, with specialty units also available.
The program will aid the extern in assisting the professional nurse in performing direct and indirect nursing activities with patients of various age groups – neonatal to geriatric. This program builds upon the foundations of nursing education and theory. This includes the components of assessment, nurse diagnosis, outcomes identification, planning and coordination, implementation, and evaluation. The program is layered on top of orientation to provide mentored clinical relationships which support development as a professional nurse. The first component of the Extern Program involves participation highly focused on clinical skills and issues relevant to the unit and of the participant.
The purposes and goals of the program are:
- Increase proficiency – from advanced beginner to competent professional
- Promote evidence- based practice at the bedside to ensure good patient outcomes
- Develop clinical leadership skills at the point of care
- Build critical-thinking and evidence-based decision- making skills
The role of the nurse extern also includes patient advocacy, teaching, performance improvement, leadership and professional development.
- Enrolled in a BSN program
- A GPA of 3.0 or above
- 2nd year of clinicals/Senior Year – will be graduating in the summer of 2020
- Excellent communication skills
- Must have the ability to follow a preceptor’s schedule
- Two letters of recommendations from nursing faculty
The nurse or nursing student completing the program is awarded a stipend at the end of the nine weeks.